What is a P-2 Visa?

The P-2 Visa is a classification that allows an individual performer or a group entering the US to perform as part of a reciprocal exchange program between the US and an organization in another country. In order to qualify for this type of visa you must be participating in a government sanctioned reciprocal exchange program and you/ your group must be over equal skill to the US artist/ group that is performing as the reciprocal group.

How do I apply for a P-2 Visa?

In order to file for this visa, you must be sponsored by a labor organization in the US or a US employer needs to file Form I-129 which is a petition for a non-immigrant visa. There are several supporting documents you will need to prepare in order to support the petition.

  • Written consultation letter from the sponsoring labor organization
  • Written agreement between the sponsoring US organization and the organization in the foreign country that will be receiving the US artist or group.
  • Evidence that you and the US group/ artist are of comparable skill.
  • Evidence that a labor organization was involved in the negotiations that led to your application

Once the petition has been granted, you can apply for the P-2 visa at a US embassy or consulate.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • How Long is a P-2 visa valid for? P-2 visas initially allow you to stay for the time needed to complete the scheduled performance and cannot exceed one year. You may apply for extensions in one year increments in order to continue performances.
  • What happens if I no longer work with the organization that sponsored me for the P-2 visa? You may change employers if you wish, but the new employer will need to re-complete the I-129 petition in order for you to continue staying on the P-2 visa.
  • Can I bring my family with me? You may bring a spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21 and they will have a P-4 visa. While on a P-4 visa, your spouse and children may not work but can attend school or college.
  • What about my staff? If you have a support staff that is vital to your performance and there are not equivalent US workers that may help you, they can also obtain a P-2 visa. They will also need to have an I-129 petition filed by the sponsoring organization. Keep in mind that this is a different I-129 form geared specifically towards support staff and will need slightly different documentation including documentation of the support person’s skills and experience with the artist.
  • How does the P-2 visa differ from the P-3 Visa? Both the P-2 and P-3 visa are designed to help artists or groups to enter the US for performances. However, the P-2 visa is for an exchange program, meaning that a US artist/ group will perform in your country while you are performing in the US. The P-3 is designed for artists/ groups that are to be a part of a cultural program.

Do You Want to Apply for an P-2 Visa? We Can Help!

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associate award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-866-449-5904.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs? Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you're eligible. The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Customer Reviews

I have now gotten my SECOND visa for working in the US with Visa Place, and I have referred several peers who have successfully gotten visas as well. The team (specifically Danielle, Fadi and Preejo) went above and beyond to ensure that I was very well taken care of. We encountered an issue in the application process (which was no fault of theirs), and the team regrouped and put all hands on deck to resolve it as soon as possible and push my approval past the finish line. It was amazing to say the least and I am so grateful that I can continue my career across the border where the vast majority of work in my industry lies.

Alex Brownin the last week

I recently had the pleasure of working with the VISA place on my E2 Visa. This was a great experience through all the highs and lows Ezekiel was there, he was Amazing a true professional. I feel like I could not have done it without him. His professionalism, understanding and genuine caring for us during this was unbelievable. I will miss our frequent phone calls. I would recommend VISA PLACE to everyone.

Ryan Joa2 weeks ago

The team here is wonderful. They are so professional and capable of handling any immigration matters. I just received my Work Permit thanks to them. Thanks Alicea again for helping me! I highly highly recommend to try their services ❤❤

Cao My Duyen4 weeks ago

As seen on


  • The Canadian Bar Association
  • The American Bar Association