What is a P-1 Visa (A or B) for Individual or Team Athletes or Members of Entertainment Groups?

The P-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows individual or team athletes, along with, members of the entertainment industry to visit the US. It allows these individuals to compete, perform, promote themselves and to participate in athletics. Because both athletes and entertainers are covered by this visa, there are two different P-1 Visas: P-1A and P-1B. The P-1A Visa is for internationally recognized athletes or athletic teams. The P-1B Visa is for recognized entertainment groups.

What are the requirements for the P-1A Visa and the P-1B Visa?

A team or entertainment group must consist of two or more members. The group must have been formed at least a year ago and ¾ of the team members/ entertainers should have been on the team/ group for at least a year. Either the athletic teams, athletes or entertainment group must be internationally recognized.

P-1A Visa Specific Requirements:

In order to be eligible for a P-1A Visa, you must meet two of the following requirements:

  • Athletes must have participated in a US professional sports league.
  • Athletes must have participated in collegiate level sports.
  • Athletes must have participated in a national or international level competition/ event.
  • Athletes must have obtained a national or international award.

P-1B Visa Specific Requirements:

  • The group has had success in their ratings, records, videos or box office sales.
  • The group has been recognized in journals or major newspaper outlets.
  • The group has received recognition from critics, the government or other experts.
  • The group has received a high salary or a good compensation for the work that they engage in.

How to Apply for a P-1 Visa (A or B)

For either the P-1A or P-1B visa, the applicant cannot begin the process themselves. They must be sponsored by a US organization and must receive approval from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and receive approval. After approval is given, the applicant will need to file a DS-160 form, pay an application fee, schedule and complete a visa interview.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long is the P-1 Visa Processing Time?

Processing times vary for each application. The petition filed by the USCIS will typically take between 2 and 8 weeks for it to process. Once that petition has been approved, it will take between 3 and 6 months.

How long is my P-1 Visa Valid for ?

If you are an individual athlete, your P-1A Visa may be valid for a maximum of 5 years. It can then be extended for an additional 5 years. After that, the applicant must return to their home country.

If you are a group of athletes, your P-1A Visa is given for a maximum of a year. The visa can then be extended in yearly increments. The maximum amount of time that the visa is valid for 10 years. After which, they will need to return to their home country.

For the entertainer of the entertainment groups, your P-aB Visa is given for a maximum of one year and then can be extended in one year increments.

Can I change my P-1 Visa into a different visa?

It is difficult to change your P-1 visa to a difficult. However, if you marry, have family in the US or change your status to a H-1B visa, you will be able to apply for a Green Card. If you are an athlete with extraordinary ability you can apply for an EB-1 or EB-2 Green Card.

Can I bring my family with me?

Yes! You will need to have your spouse and children under 21 apply for an P-4 Visa. This type of visa does not allow the holder to work but they are able to study.

Do You Want to Apply for an P-1 (A or B) Visa? We Can Help!

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associate award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-866-449-5904.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs? Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you're eligible. The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Customer Reviews

I have now gotten my SECOND visa for working in the US with Visa Place, and I have referred several peers who have successfully gotten visas as well. The team (specifically Danielle, Fadi and Preejo) went above and beyond to ensure that I was very well taken care of. We encountered an issue in the application process (which was no fault of theirs), and the team regrouped and put all hands on deck to resolve it as soon as possible and push my approval past the finish line. It was amazing to say the least and I am so grateful that I can continue my career across the border where the vast majority of work in my industry lies.

Alex Brownin the last week

I recently had the pleasure of working with the VISA place on my E2 Visa. This was a great experience through all the highs and lows Ezekiel was there, he was Amazing a true professional. I feel like I could not have done it without him. His professionalism, understanding and genuine caring for us during this was unbelievable. I will miss our frequent phone calls. I would recommend VISA PLACE to everyone.

Ryan Joa2 weeks ago

The team here is wonderful. They are so professional and capable of handling any immigration matters. I just received my Work Permit thanks to them. Thanks Alicea again for helping me! I highly highly recommend to try their services ❤❤

Cao My Duyen4 weeks ago

As seen on


  • The Canadian Bar Association
  • The American Bar Association