How Do I Turn Asylee Status into Permanent Residency (Green Card)?

If you are residing in the US after being granted asylum status, you are able to apply for a Green Card one year after you have received asylum status. In order to apply, you will need to meet the following requirements:

  • You have been physically present in the US for a year after being granted asylum status.
  • You continue to meet the definition of an asylee (or are the spouse or child of an asylee).
  • You have not resettled in another country.
  • You are still admissible to the US.

You will need to file Form I-484, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status and pay the filing fee. This fee covers the cost of the application and the biometrics fee (this does not apply to applicants under the age of 14). The following evidence will need to be submitted in support of Form I-484:

  • A copy of Form I-94.
  • Your approval notice granting asylum or a copy of the judge’s orders that show you are granted asylum.
  • Evidence of a name change if you have changed your name.

You will also need to submit two passport photos. If you are inadmissible to the US now, you will need to file Form I-602, Application by Refugee for Waiver of Grounds of Excludability and any copies of court/ arrest records, if applicable. Once everything has been successfully submitted, you will receive a written decision.

Are You In the US on Alysee Status and do You Want to Become a Permanent Resident?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associate award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-866-449-5904.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs? Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you're eligible. The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Customer Reviews

I have now gotten my SECOND visa for working in the US with Visa Place, and I have referred several peers who have successfully gotten visas as well. The team (specifically Danielle, Fadi and Preejo) went above and beyond to ensure that I was very well taken care of. We encountered an issue in the application process (which was no fault of theirs), and the team regrouped and put all hands on deck to resolve it as soon as possible and push my approval past the finish line. It was amazing to say the least and I am so grateful that I can continue my career across the border where the vast majority of work in my industry lies.

Alex Brownin the last week

I recently had the pleasure of working with the VISA place on my E2 Visa. This was a great experience through all the highs and lows Ezekiel was there, he was Amazing a true professional. I feel like I could not have done it without him. His professionalism, understanding and genuine caring for us during this was unbelievable. I will miss our frequent phone calls. I would recommend VISA PLACE to everyone.

Ryan Joa2 weeks ago

The team here is wonderful. They are so professional and capable of handling any immigration matters. I just received my Work Permit thanks to them. Thanks Alicea again for helping me! I highly highly recommend to try their services ❤❤

Cao My Duyen4 weeks ago

As seen on


  • The Canadian Bar Association
  • The American Bar Association